Network Slicing in 5G
The objective of the research activity is to create an SDN/NFV-based 5G Mobile Transport and Computing Platform able of simultaneously supporting a wide range of networking and computing requirements to meet the specific needs of vertical industries. To address this challenge, we leverage the new networking paradigm known as Network Slicing, which has emerged as one of the most promising approached for 5G. The activity will therefore focus on enabling per-slice management of virtualized resources and on bringing the network slicing paradigm into mobile transport networks by provisioning and managing slices tailored to the needs of vertical industries. Specifically, relevant verticals are automotive, healthcare, cloud robotics, and media. The technical approach is twofold:
- Enable Vertical Industries to meet their service requirements within customised slices;
- Aggregate and Federate transport networking and computing resources, from the edge up to the core and cloud, to create and manage slices throughout a federated virtualized infrastructure.
The research activity acts in order to define and demonstrate algorithms for:
- the deployment of slices in a short time-scale that meet verticals’ needs;
- the orchestration of (possibly federated) networking and computing resources from multiple domains and their allocation to slices.
- PE7_8 Networks (communication networks, networks of sensors, robots...)
- Network Function Virtualization
- Algorithm design and anlaysis
- Support of Vertical industries
- Systems modeling