Design of advanced control algorithms for aerospace applications
The majority of past and current space missions strongly rely on orbit/trajectory control actions performed by human operators, often located on the Earth ground. However, future missions will require higher and higher automation levels, in order to allow the accomplishment of challenging tasks, such as solar system exploration, Earth monitoring, space rescue, etc. This research activity aims at utilizing advanced control methods such as Embedded Model Control and Model Predictive Control in the aerospace field. It is indeed expected that such techniques may largely increase the operation autonomy of spacecrafts, allowing also to obtain better accuracies in attitude and orbital control, and space maneuvers.Applications include:
- Spacecraft attitude control.
- Spacecraft orbital/trajectory optimization and control.
- Space maneuvers (rendezvous, docking).
- Drag-free control.
- Satellite formation control.
- Quadcopter attitude and position control.
- PE7_1 Control engineering
- PE7_3 Simulation engineering and modelling
- PE1_19 Control theory and optimisation
- Aerospace control
- Aerospace simulation